How to Setup a Printer on Mac
Nowadays, there is a trend going around to use fewer papers to print to save the trees and be eco-friendly, but there is always something which needed to be printed and that requires that paper and a printer. As for whether its’s companies, schools or publishers etc they all need to print the documents like there annual reports, report card or publish there own books.
So here’s I am going to guide you on how to connect/setup a printer on Mac step by step along with the pictures so that you can understand and apply it effortlessly as sometimes installing a printer may be a little time-consuming. so Let’s get started:
- To easily setup popular printers macOS uses Airprint by default through which the most popular printers will not require an additional printer software.
- To now that your printer is whether Airprint enabled or not Go to Mac Airprint printers Support list.
- With Airprint support you will be able to print through Wi-Fi, Ethernet, or USB connection
- If your printer does not support Airprint then don’t worry macOS will automatically download its latest driver software from internet in most of the cases although in some cases macOS will prompt you to download latest printer software it its required.
- if your have an older printer that does’t support driverless technology then you can get your printer’s software manualy from macOS Printer and Scanner driver for mac page
Connecting Printer Through USB on Mac OS X
Among most of the cases in USB printers all you had to do is just update your printer software and connect the printer through USB cable in your Mac and if it is required, macOS will directly download the latest printer software through internet although in some cases you had to follow the below steps to add the printer manually:
First Prepare your printer and read the instructions that came with it to guide you on how to unpack printer, installing the ink on it, and adding paper.
Turn on your Printer and make sure it’s not showing any errors.
- Start your Mac Click on the “Apple Menu ” then select “ App Store”
- Then in “ App Store” window click on “ Updates”, then install any update that appears make sure that your macOS had the latest information about printer software, if you don’t do this you could see the message that software isn’t available when you connect your printer to the Mac
Now connect your printer’s USB cable to your Mac, and if you see a message asking you to download new software then do download and install it.
Connecting Printer Through WiFi on Mac
How to setup wireless printer on mac? is this your question then we going to answer right here right now. As we all know Wireless printer can be setup in the home or business offices from which you can easily print any web page or PDF in just one click to your phone or notebook.
There is a simple processor to add wireless printer to MacBook Air or any other Mac OS X device. In a few simple steps that it.
Choose a WiFi network using your Printer built-in tools. You’ll be prompted to enter username and password to connect to the Wireless Printer.
Now, Install the Driver from the CD that comes with your Wireless Printer.
If you don’t get or have a CD of the driver then you’ve to visit the official website of the printer manufacturer and download the driver and install it on your Mac device.
Choose “System Preference” from the dock of your Mac screen. Click on the “Print&Fax” from the hardware section. After this Click on the “+” symbol given on the left side of the screen.
Now choose “IP” from the pop window and then select “Internet Protocol IPP” from available portals.
Add your Wireless Printer IP address with Queue name and then select the Printer Driver from the menu.
Click on the “Add” to complete the process of connecting Wireless Printer to Mac.
Connecting Printer To Mac With Ethernet Cable
This is a third option to connect the printer to mac using Ethernet cable. For this process, you must have an ethernet cable for connecting your Mac device to the printer. Just follow below given step by step guides.
Note: Install Printer Driver and software to step up your printer on ethernet network connection. However, before installing the driver you must have a functioning network router and an Ethernet cable to move to further.
Connect the Ethernet Cable to the Printer and to the Router or Switch or Hub. Doing this the printer will be found during installing it on Mac.
Now, here we go. Turn on Printer.
Connect Ethernet Cable to the Printer and other port to the router.
Now, install the printer driver and software to the Mac device. To complete the network printer step up.
After installing the driver it will prompt you to the “Add Printer” dialogue box.
Add the printer to the printer queue. Click on the name of your printer and now select “Use” menu and select your printer from the pop menu and Click on the Add button.